Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pulled Over By the Po-Po, Thank God !

I took my kids, the neighbors' girl and our dog to a local park tonight.  This park is on the edge of town, which means that streetlights are pretty much non-existent.  After play time was over I piled everybody into the car and headed for a local convenience store to buy some tea.

I pulled out onto the road to drive to the store.  Almost immediately I noticed somebody was tailgating very closely.  I thought I may have pulled out too close and made the other driver angry.  My primary concern was that the other driver was pissed off and looking for trouble.  And me with three children in the car.  I decided to drive non-stop to the convenience store just down the road, even if it meant running the stop sign which I just NOW noticed.

Well, as soon as I blew through the stop sign the blue and red lights of the local PD came on.  On the minus side; I was probably about to get a ticket.  On the plus side; nobody was going to try and rob us.  I considered the ticket a fair trade.

I worked out my personal SOP years ago.  I immediately turned the interior lights on and retrieved my wallet.  Then I rested both hands on the wheel until he approached.  I handed both licenses to the officer.  He asked if I was.  I said yes.  He asked where.  I pointed with my left thumb.  The only awkward moment was when he asked to see my insurance card, which was in the glove box.  It's my wife's car.  I keep mine in the center console so I don't have to reach while assembling the standard documents.  My daughter opened the glove box calmly and slowly handed me the envelope with the insurance and registration cards. 

I explained that I was paying more attention to him behind me than I was to the stop sign in front of me.  He walked back to check the licenses.  The other police car, which I had not even noticed, pulled away.  He came back and asked me to be more careful.

Then he thanked my for exercising my constitutional right to carry.

God bless Texas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment